||About 1 Hotels
As a luxury lifestyle hotel brand inspired by nature, 1 Hotels cultivates the best of eco-conscious design and sustainable architecture, together with extraordinary comfort and an unrivaled level of service. 1 Hotels launched in 2015 with the opening of exclusive
properties in Miami’s South Beach and Manhattan’s Central Park. 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge, which opened in February 2017, is the first ground-up build, flagship property for 1 Hotels in Dumbo’s Brooklyn Bridge Park. All 1 Hotels properties are inspired by a
simple idea: those that travel the world also care about it. 1 Hotels upholds this vision by channeling nature through design and culinary partnerships, while connecting with the local community and taking sustainable steps to make a big difference.
1 IS ABOUT NATURE - Sustainability and Conservation at 1 Hotels at South Beach
Our goal is to celebrate all that is beautiful, natural and pure ---- and inspire us to live a more natural life. We want 1 Hotels to be the experience that encourages people to live well, do better, and connect with our environment, ourselves and others in
a deeper, richer way. We are minimizing the impact to our environment in many different areas. There is no use for plastic bottles because we have triple filtered water for our guests. With sustainability and conservation in mind, 1 Hotels South Beach was
built using sustainably harvested beetle kill pine. Our clothes hangers are made out of recycled paper with soy based ink. We focus on being more than a brand, but a cause.
Additional information can be found at www.1hotels.com.
Work effectively as part of the culinary team, primarily responsible for, but not limited to, completion of all tasks related to preparation, cooking and garnishing of food for events or outlets in accordance with property standards, recipes and adhering to
all food safety and sanitation regulations.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Anticipate and understand guests’ service needs, ascertain satisfaction, and respond urgently and appropriately to guest concerns and requests.
• Consistently conduct oneself in a professional manner at all times and work professionally with colleagues and team leaders with a team minded approach.
• Prepare and set up station to ensure execution of daily service. Collect and transport all supplies needed for the shift and set up of station including, but not limited to food product, equipment and supplies, etc.
• Prepare menu items according to property and brand standards and recipes established by culinary leadership team.
• Alter menu items to accommodate guests’ dietary needs or preferences as requested.
• Follow food preparation production schedule.
• Food preparation of meats/poultry/game/fish, vegetables and fruits to include: Wash, peel, cut and seed vegetables and fruits; Weigh and measure ingredients; Methods of combination: stir, mix, whip, bread, etc.; Cook: steam, sauté, fry, bake, roast, braise,
boil, poach, broil; Maintain cooking temperature, product cooling and labeling.
• Lift and move equipment to and from work station, stove, refrigerator, etc.
• Monitor and maintain cleanliness, sanitation and organization of work area, station, equipment and utensils before, during and after shift, ensuring par levels of ingredients and equipment are available and practicing “clean as you go.” Maintain prep work
• Distribute supplies, utensils and portable equipment.
• Execution of proficient knife skills.
• Use of a variety of culinary equipment including but not limited to the following equipment: pasta maker; tilting steam kettle; tilting braising skillet; pressureless steamer; deep fryer; mobile, rotary and convention ovens; griddles; burners; salamander;
buffalo chopper; electric mixers; electric slicers; bain marie heaters; scales; wok.
• Adhere to and maintain all food storage and handling procedures.
• Adhere to and maintain all food quality and nutritional standards.
• Perform technical culinary food production, portion control and service standards.
• Attend pre-shift meetings before events to learn shift details, including property and guest expectations.
• Attend and participate in all required meetings.
• Perform end of shift cleaning and restocking tasks and breakdown of station. Return all food and beverage items, and supplies to the proper area and ensure work area is clean and neat, prior to finishing the shift and departing.
• Communicate with colleagues when taking over and finishing each shift.
• Maintain high standards of presentation, culinary supply quality, safety and cleanliness.
• Use proper kitchen safety protocols in regards to food preparation (storage, transportation, preparation, etc) and equipment usage.
• Input real-time work orders via HotSOS and any guest concerns during interaction. Convey with clarity in HotSOS any and all guest opportunities.
• Perform any other reasonable duties as requested by the leadership team.
• Identify opportunities to optimize performance and create value by challenging existing processes; encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Be a clear thinker, analyze and resolve problems, exercise good judgement, resolutions must be thoughtful, and with the guest in mind. Immediate follow-up with a leader is expected.
• Establish and maintain open, positive, collaborative, and professional internal and external relationships. Develop lasting relationships with guests and to secure repeat business. Foster and promote a cooperative working environment, maximizing efficiency
and delivering the ultimate guest experience.
• Follow all company and safety and security policies and procedures; report any maintenance problems, safety hazards, accidents, or injuries; complete safety training and certifications; properly store flammable materials.
• Ensure compliance with hotel policies, procedures, and standards with self and colleagues.
• Ensure uniform and personal appearance are clean and professional.
• Maintain confidentiality of proprietary information.
• Embody the 1 Hotels Vision, Mission and Compass; deliver on Our Promise, provide Good-Natured Service and uphold our Brand Pillars.
Reports to the Executive Chef and culinary leaders. Dotted line reporting relationship to the Food & Beverage leadership team.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• Previous culinary experience in a similar position and ability to execute advanced culinary duties and responsibilities outlined above.
• Excellent communication and listening skills. Ability to clearly and effectively communicate in English with service team. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or team members and ability to respond to and creatively resolve guest inquiries
• Ability to read and understand documents such as safety rules, Banquet Event Orders (BEOs), operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
• Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Ability to follow directions and work in a team environment.
• Ability to remain flexible and adaptable.
• Must possess a high quality, detailed and service work ethic.
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to follow all safety regulations and property standards.
• Ability to follow all food and safety regulations and property standards.
• Professional & appropriate business appearance and demeanor aligned with the 1 Hotel brand and culture.
• Ability to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds frequently and 50 pounds occasionally. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to stand; use hands/fingers; to grasp, perform fine manipulation, handle, or feel objects, reach with hands and arms; talk; hear and smell. The team member is frequently required
to walk, kneel, or crouch; reach above shoulder level and must possess the ability to stand for long periods (more than 8 hours). May be exposed to extreme temperatures, dust, dampness, height and moving machinery.
• The performance of this position may occasionally require the use of personal protective equipment.
• Flexibility to meet the demands of a 24-hour operation. Due to the nature of the hospitality industry, team members may be required to work varying schedules, including holidays and weekends to accommodate the business and demands of the property.
• Culinary arts education, certification or degree.
• Food Handling Certificate
Some benefits of working with us at 1 Hotels South Beach
Our culture is caring and thoughtful, and we deliver good-natured and informed service, perfectly executed to evoke a sense of fulfillment and well-being. As a part of our team, you can look forward to activities that drive your passion for nature such as:
• Retirement planning - a great 401(k)/retirement savings plan
• Work life balance: Paid Time Off, Holidays (Earth Day is a holiday)
• Pre-tax benefits to encourage commuting, and even free bicycle parking
• Annual 8 hours paid to volunteer & hotel organized volunteer opportunities
• Wellness is important - competitive healthcare benefits & delicious, healthy meals - which are free
• Sustainable, beautiful and inspiring work environment - You see and feel nature everywhere in the hotel
• Our hotel is in the historic and world famous South Beach area of Miami, directly on the Atlantic Ocean
• More Wellness – A great partnership with Soul Cycle right next door. Take as many spinning classes as you want. Yes for free!
• We encourage walking along the beach before or after work as a way to take in the exceptional beauty of our beaches and ocean
• Career advancement, in-house training, cross-training, specific certifications to ensure “5 Star” standards are met, special projects
relating to brand awareness / messaging and education assistance
"* Participate in hotel sustainability initiatives such as recycling, waste management and employee activities.
* Enliven the 1 Hotels sustainability culture such as ensuring that there is minimum food waste from food preparation, working with chef to create menu items that are sustainable, sourced locally or regionally, and organic."
Due to nature of the hospitality industry, employees are required to work varying schedules, including holidays, to accommodate the business and demands of the hotel
Ability to cross train in various departments for overall understanding of the operations and provide ultimate guest experience.
A review of this description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and requirements are essential job functions.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to perform any other job related duties assigned by their supervisor/
This document does not create an employment contract, implies of otherwise, other than an "at will" employment relationship.