Provides leadership and direction to drive guest and team member engagement, achieve operational and financial excellence and uphold brand standards ensuring quality, consistency and production of the Banquet Kitchen. The Banquet Chef is responsible for oversight
of the Culinary and Stewarding teams for the Banquet Department.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Develop and communicate a departmental strategy that is aligned with the property and brand and lead in its execution.
• Establish goals to optimize performance and hold the department leadership team accountable for desired outcomes.
• Provide inspirational leadership to enliven the 1 Hotels Vision, Mission and Compass; deliver on Our Promise, provide Good-Natured Service and uphold our Brand Pillars.
• Supervise and manage team members and day-to-day operations understanding positions well enough to perform duties in team member absence. Ensure and maintain the productivity level of team members.
• Exhibit culinary talents by personally performing tasks while leading the staff and managing all food related functions.
• Coordinate menus, purchasing, staffing and food preparation and presentation for the Banquet Department.
• Ensure sanitation and food standards are achieved.
• Provide excellent customer service to all team members and respond quickly and proactively to team member concerns.
• Monitor guest feedback and performance data to optimize guest engagement and retention and take appropriate corrective action. Respond quickly and proactively to guest’s concerns and take ownership of guest complaints/problems until they are resolved or addressed.
• Improve service by communicating and assisting team members to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback and individual coaching when needed.
• Meet with guests on an informal basis during events or upon departure to obtain feedback on food & beverage quality, service and overall satisfaction.
• Stay informed of market trends and introduce new products and services to drive guest engagement, increase revenue and ensure a competitive position in the market.
• Identify opportunities to optimize performance and create value by challenging existing processes, encouraging innovation and driving necessary change.
• Identify the developmental needs of others and provide opportunities for growth and development to maximize talent.
• Develop the departmental budget and monitor financial performance to ensure goals are met or exceeded and opportunities are identified and addressed. Maintain a positive cost management index for departmental operations.
• Oversee the financial aspects of the department including purchasing, payment of invoices and payroll.
• Ensure proper controls are in place and polices are established and followed by all team members.
• Establish and maintain open, collaborative relationships and ensure direct reports do the same.
• Ensure regular, ongoing communication occurs (e.g. daily rallies, divisional/departmental meetings, attendance at regular and ad hoc hotel meetings).
• Recruit and select talented leaders and team members who will enhance the 1 Hotels culture and demonstrate functional expertise; ensuring staffing levels are appropriate to meet business demands.
• Create a learning atmosphere with a focus on continuous improvement.
• Provide guidance and direction to subordinates through coaching, counseling, mentoring, and reviewing performance.
• Utilize interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence and inspire others; advocate sound business decisions; demonstrate honesty and integrity; lead by example.
• Build and maintain an organizational culture that maximizes employee engagement and attracts top talent. Ensure the environment of the department emphasizes motivation, empowerment, team work, continuous improvement and a passion for providing service. Encourage
and build mutual trust, respect and cooperation among team members.
Reports to the Executive Chef of 1 Hotel Brooklyn Bridge. The Banquet Chef has oversight for leaders and team members in the Culinary and Stewarding teams in the Banquet Department.
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS
• A post-secondary diploma or degree in a field of study related to this profession; 4 years of experience in a comparable position and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Detailed culinary knowledge; demonstrated strong leadership and strategic planning skills; and proven achievements in optimizing guest and team member engagement and financial performance.
• Experience successfully leading in a fast-paced environment and prioritizing demands.
• Strong interpersonal, team member relations and leadership abilities.
• Well versed in Culinary financial aspects
• Technically savvy and familiar with culinary operating/budgeting systems and spreadsheets.
• Ability to identify and solve problems.
• Professional & appropriate business appearance and demeanor aligned with the 1 Hotel brand and culture.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Flexibility to meet the demands of a 24-hour operation
• Prior experience in a high volume quality luxury hotel or restaurant brand; specifically in Culinary and Banquets.
• Fluency in a second language other than English.