Akcea Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing drugs to treat patients with serious rare diseases. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we must drive clinical
program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics. Akcea has a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced
Akcea was established by Ionis Pharmaceuticals in late 2014 and was listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange in July 2017 under the symbol “AKCA.” Akcea is a global company headquartered in Cambridge, MA with offices in Carlsbad, CA and across the EU and Canada.
Field Medical Associate Director/Director
Serving as the field extension of our Global Medical Affairs group and reporting to the Executive Director, Field Medical Affairs, the Field Medical (Associate) Director (FMD) will serve as field-based clinical and medical experts responsible for appropriately
engaging in scientific exchange and gaining insights in support of Akcea Pharmaceuticals’ products, research areas, and disease states of interest.
The FMD will develop and maintain long-term, credible, peer-to-peer professional relationships with both medical experts in the fields of neurology and other medical disciplines related to the diagnosis and/or management of patients with transthyretin amyloidosis
(hATTR) as well as clinical study investigators. Through scientific exchange, the FMD will communicate and advance the scientific platform aligned with the overall medical communications and medical affairs strategies.
- Identify and forge professional peer-to-peer relationships with National, Regional, and Local key opinion leaders
- Align and execute field activities in support of Medical Affairs Strategic plan
- Identify and communicate research gaps, opportunities, and relevant field intelligence to inform medical strategy
- Accelerate recruitment efforts and enhance subject retention at targeted clinical trial sites
- Leverage expertise to enhance and broaden knowledge among field medical team colleagues
- Attend medical/scientific meetings to represent Medical Affairs with KOLs and other HCPs, strengthen individual expertise as well as capture, integrate, and summarize information of strategic interest
- Appropriately facilitate submission of Medical Education grants and Investigator-Initiated Research
- Support cross-functional colleagues (e.g. commercial, clinical operations, clinical development), in appropriate activities
- Actively participate in relevant team meetings, organizational activities, and HQ-driven medical affairs and clinical research activities (e.g. advisory boards, publication planning, investigator meetings)
- Utilizing unique skills, assume lead responsibility for project work identified by Medical Affairs leadership and/or organizational priorities
- Local, regional and national travel up to 75%
- MD, PhD, PharmD, or DO very strongly preferred
- ≥ 5 years’ experience in field-based medical role in pharmaceutical or biotechnology company
- Expertise and experience in Neurology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Pathology or another field related to hATTR
- Strong understanding of relevant policies guiding the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Level of position will be based on length of industry experience and other factors
- Strong multi-tasking, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website,
www.akceatx.com, for more information and to apply for this position.
Reference Requisition #18-0113
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.