Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics.
Established as a subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense therapeutics.
In July 2017, Akcea closed its initial public offering of common stock and is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol “AKCA.”
National Director, Field Medical Affairs – US
Reporting to the VP, Global Medical Affairs, the National Director, Field Medical Affairs- US will serve as Akcea’s leader of the Field Medical Director (FMD) group, the clinical and medical experts responsible for appropriately engaging in scientific exchange
and gaining insights in support of Akcea Pharmaceuticals’ products, research areas, and disease states of interest.In this leadership role, the National Director will be responsible for evolving and cultivating a highly functioning, highly productive and diverse
group of medical affairs professionals with experience aligned with the needs of the organization.This highly visible role will also serve as the primary interface with cross-functional colleagues with regard to field medical partnerships and activities.Further,
this person will have responsibility of developing and reporting field outcomes and activities in a compliant and meaningful way to senior leaders in the organization.This is both a HQ and a field role.Strong preference will be given to candidates in, or willing
to relocate to the Boston area.
- Leads strategy and development of processes and capabilities that optimize the delivery of medical and scientific services to internal stakeholders and external customers;
- Develop and oversee execution of field medical component of medical affairs plan
- Accountable for the effective/optimal integration of the FMD team within Akcea
- Devise, implement and oversee external medical engagement in identifying appropriate patients for disease states of interest
- Effectively and quickly develops successful relationships and partners with Cross-Functional Business team members (development, clinical operations, commercial, market access)
- Ensures appropriate Field Medical Affairs resources of initiatives such as Advisory Board Meetings, Medical conference meetings, and others as appropriate
- Works closely and compliantly with commercial leadership (e.g. Head of marketing, Head of Sales) to ensure optimal alignment of field resources in delivering therapeutic area goals and objectives
- Accountable for Field Medical Affairs segment of launch planning process and overall medical affairs plan to align and prioritize the FMDs
- Oversee the continued build-out of the field medical affairs team supporting volanesorsen and other products in the Akcea portfolio
- Manage the recruitment, hiring and onboarding of high performing and motivated FMDs in both the United States and Canada in accordance with the medical affairs plan
- Design and implement information technology systems and other field medical affairs infrastructure to enable FMD success
- Responsible for developing, evaluating and delivering core training to the FMD to ensure maintained expertise in therapeutic area(s) and compliance of team activities
- Serves on conduit of information on select HQ activities to field team
- Educate internal team members on disease state paradigm changes, competitive intelligence and key opinion leader views and opinions as it pertains to the products in Akcea portfolio
- MD, PhD, PharmD, or DO required
- ≥ 5 years experience in field-based medical role in pharmaceutical or biotechnology company
- >3 years of leadership experience in a medical affairs role
- Expertise and experience in Lipidology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology or other field related to Akcea’s products and disease states of interest
- Rare disease experience strongly preferred
- Strong understanding of relevant policies guiding the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Strong ability to lead and motivate field based teams
- Demonstrated success in a cross-functional dependent environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong multi-tasking, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information on Akcea and to apply for this position, please visit our website:
www.akceatx.com Reference #17-0132
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.