||Clinical Science Associate, Canada
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics.
Established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a robust portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
therapeutics. Akcea's most advanced program, volanesorsen, is in development to treat patients with either familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS) or familial partial lipodystrophy (FPL), two orphan lipid disorders that are characterized by extremely high
triglycerides and ApoC-III. The more advanced of these 2 indications is FCS with Phase 3 data successfully meeting the primary endpoint. We plan to file for marketing authorization for volanesorsen in the third quarter of 2017 to treat patients with FCS and
therefore have started to build our commercial and medical teams in preparation for launch.
Akcea’s products will be supported and commercialized in Canada through its Canadian subsidiary, Akcea Therapeutics Canada Inc.
Clinical Science Associate
The Clinical Science Associate (CSA) is the first Canadian commercial position that will plan and implement a product launch at Akcea Canada (pending Health Canada, review, and approval of volanesorsen). They will call on healthcare practitioners and institutions
in the cardiometabolic rare disease space educating HCPs about Familial Chylomicronemia Syndrome (FCS) and launching volanesorsen upon its approval. Targets will be driven by the CSA’s initiative and research but are expected to emphasize specialists including:
lipidology, endocrinology, cardiology, gastroenterology, and hospital medicine.
The Clinical Science Associate will be accountable for their territory’s performance, including executing all pre- and post-launch commercial activities. This individual will be responsible for analyzing the FCS market, developing a localized business and
routing plan, and efficiently managing the territory. If the product is approved, the Clinical Science Associate will collaborate closely with their partners across Akcea to achieve success in their territory.
- Promote patient-centered disease and product education to HCPs to improve patient care and achieve or exceed company objectives for territory
- Develop and execute a strategic and tactical plan to drive business objectives based on territory-level data and insights, including referral and cross-disciplinary practice dynamics
- Effectively utilize available resources, and programs, including peer-to-peer education, and cross-functional partners within Akcea to address identified knowledge gaps
- Navigate and identify opportunities within healthcare networks including: academic medical institutions, integrated delivery networks, accountable care organizations, private practices, and community hospital systems to identify key value drivers.
- Demonstrates leadership through active collaboration with partners across the organization and proactive contributions that improve Regional, National and Global performance
- Executes all of the above with strong understanding and adherence to compliance and corporate policies, including appropriate documentation and reporting
- Build positive trust relationships to influence targeted group in the decision making process
- Minimum 5+ years sales in Biotech, Specialty Pharmaceutical, or Medical Device Sales
- Endocrinology, cardiology, gastroenterology and/or lipid experience strongly preferred, including history of:
- Building relationships with physicians referring, diagnosing and/or treating lipid disorders
- Building Account relationships in medical centers and teaching hospitals with specialty departments who treat the most severe patients referred on by community clinicians or other hospitals
- Understanding of injectable products
- Experience with products in the orphan drug arena would be advantageous, however more important is the understanding of commercializing high-value specialty therapeutics addressing unmet medical needs.
- Demonstrated ability to craft rigorous and innovative territory business plans, and implement plans efficiently and effectively over a time period of 2 to 3 years.
- Documented track record of delivering consistent, exceptional levels of performance and leadership
- Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, self-starter, with experience effectively partnering with HCPs
- Willingness to be a “road warrior” and demonstrated ability to manage a large geography with minimal guidance
- Ability to manage ambiguity, navigate complexity, and be creative and solutions-oriented
- Demonstrated success educating physicians about:
- Complex diseases that are clinically diagnosed and are not always confirmed through genetic testing
- Diverse patient profiles which do not always lend themselves to simple segmentation and categorization for treatment decisions
- Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, self-starter with an ability to build lasting relationships with institutions and practices with barriers to access
- Product launch experience is required
- Capability of working autonomously or as part of a multi-disciplinary team with a ‘sleeves rolled up’ approach and in a collaborative manner.
- Rare disease, orphan drug, and specialty pharmacy distribution experience is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Valid driver’s license required
- Bachelor’s degree (business, technology, or science) required
- Fluent in English, written and oral
- Domestic travel required and ranges from 30% -50% depending on territory
- Fluency in both national languages is a plus
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.akceatx.com, to apply for this position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
||Send This Job to a Friend