Akcea Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing drugs to treat patients with serious rare diseases. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we must drive clinical
program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics. Akcea has a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced
Akcea was established by Ionis Pharmaceuticals in late 2014 and was listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange in July 2017 under the symbol “AKCA.” Akcea is a global company headquartered in Cambridge, MA with offices in Carlsbad, CA and across the EU and Canada.
SENIOR FINANCIAL ANALYST
The Senior Financial Analyst of Expense is a newly created role that will serve as a key member of the Akcea Finance Team, reporting to the Director of FP&A. This role will focus on three major expense areas:
Global Medical Affairs, Global General & Administrative, European Commercial. To present a unified global picture of the Commercial Organization, the successful candidate will partner with the California based Commercial Finance Lead, who has global responsibilities
for Commercial Revenue and Expense.
The ideal candidate has pharma / bio experience in a commercial organization, has previously supported Medical Affairs and effectively partnered with teams located outside the US (preferably in Europe). We are looking for an individual who has been part
of global drug launches and has built processes from scratch. She/he will be responsible for developing meaningful financial and operational metrics that will help drive effective decision-making across geographies.
The Senior Financial Analyst will oversee financial planning with responsibility for budgeting and forecasting for their assigned areas and support efforts to implement best-in-class financial processes and systems to support continued growth and expansion.
The successful candidate is expected to have a hands-on approach in all aspects of the job and demonstrate the highest caliber of professional and personal integrity and ethical decision-making. Flexibility and adaptability will be critical to success in
this rapidly evolving company.
- Oversees the FP&A expense activities for assigned areas; partners with the management team to provide insights into the business and establish, implement, and contribute to the achievement of business objectives
- Fosters an environment of problem solving, efficiency, pro-activity, and improved business practices
- Spearheads pro-active communications at all levels to ensure broad-based understanding of financial objectives and processes relevant to a profitable and evolving global commercial organization
- Involves Director of FP&A in areas of complexity, risk mitigation and strategic importance
- Drives the multi-year financial planning process for assigned areas, including development of PowerPoint communications
- Supports continuous improvement of financial tools, business modeling, financial planning, and processes that can scale with the company's growth
- Serves as a financial advisor and partner to the management team of assigned areas, including providing analyses of budgets and financial trends
- Supports development of processes that enhance management's financial stewardship
- Executes robust, efficient, and effective budgeting and forecasting processes that reflect the complex multinational structure of the company
- Prepares analyses, commentary, and presentations that ensure strategic messages are effectively and appropriately communicated to members of management and other constituents, as needed
- Provides proactive recommendations to enhance financial performance
- Provides support for other projects as needed
Complex and evolving business model
- Requires an ability to think ahead, foresee opportunities, develop financial strategy, and enact action plans to evaluate and optimize business and market opportunities
- Requires a hands-on financial professional with demonstrated success in working closely with business leaders
- This role ensures the assigned leadership teams always have necessary information for effective and timely decision-making, including analysis of options and considerations
- All employees must be comfortable in an environment that embraces collaboration and interrogative debate to manage projects, solve problems, and resolve challenging issues
- Requires thorough preparation, critical thinking, and a willingness to have others challenge ideas and thinking
Fast-paced, intense environment
- The ever-changing business environment with rapid evolution of commercialization structures heightens the need for proactive thinking, communication, and decision-making
- Requires comfort working in gray zone vs. black and white and the ability to make timely decisions without necessarily having all information
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND EXPERIENCE
- BS/BA in Accounting, Finance or related field
- MBA strongly preferred
- 5+ years in progressively responsible financial roles, in publicly traded life science and/or biotech companies
- Experience in long-range financial planning, budgeting, and forecasting within an evolving commercial organization with global locations
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written, including PowerPoint,
- Proven ability to build strong partnerships across the organization, influence others, and work collaboratively within a team-oriented environment
- Able to effectively coordinate efforts across the organization (both internally and externally) to achieve key objectives; demonstrated ability to work effectively in a highly-matrixed organization
- Occasional travel may be required, maximum 10%
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information on Akcea and to apply for this position, please visit our website: www.akceatx.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.