Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics.
Established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a robust portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
Regional Director (RD) – Central United States
The Regional Director will play a critical and significant role in the growth of Akcea as an organization and in the successful commercialization of volanesorsen and future products in the United States.
She or he will lead the regional build-out and management of a specialty, rare disease-focused field sales team, and will be accountable for achieving or exceeding regional revenue goals and regional budget management. This is a front-line leadership role
accountable for building & leading a field based sales team and managing all operations related to driving performance in the defined region.
In addition to managing the team, and hitting financial targets, this individual will be responsible for running their region as a business, including development and execution of plans for successful commercialization. Collaboration will also be critical
as this member will be a key member of the cross-functional US leadership team.
- Design and implement regional strategic plans, including patient advocacy, account management, reimbursement, and initiatives to drive diagnosis, compliance and persistence.
- Actively contribute to overall success of the United States as a member of the US leadership team
- Develop strategies at the RD and Regional Account Mangers (RAM) level for patient-centric teamwork, cooperative partnership, and collaborative communication to facilitate execution between field medical directors (FMDs), case management, and hub-specialty
- Developing strategies for relationships with medical experts (relevant areas include lipidology, endocrinology, pancreas specialists/gastroenterologists) and regional and local medical societies
- Hire, train, manage, motivate and develop a team of RAMs, including the sales strategy for the region, and strategies for hiring, training, development, resource planning and allocation, local medical education programming, and overall performance management
of the regional sales force
- Manage Regional Budget
- Develop, lead and achieve regional and territory revenue goals and medical educational program goals, including leading sales team to develop new accounts and expand existing accounts
- Define and monitor performance metrics and maintain accountability for the region and RAMs
- Identify, develop and direct training needs
- Conduct regular field visits and business reviews of customer visits to support continuous improvement and optimal performance and support both the business and career development needs of the regional team as well as regular.
- Manage and adhere to all company policies assigned to sales management position
- Engage with counterparts in various parts of the business (including other geographies) to share best practice
- Team/Sales Management
- Clinical Aptitude
- Account Management
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
The RD will report to the Head of US Commercial, and need to interact efficiently between all departments, including Patient Advocacy, Market Access/Reimbursement, Sales Operations, Training, Marketing, and Medical Affairs.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in biotech or pharmaceuticals, sales, marketing and/or payer leadership roles, including a minimum of 3 years in sales leadership
- Experience within relevant therapeutic area or rare diseases required
- Demonstrated product launch experience
- Expertise in hiring and team building
- Experience managing Region/District budgets and achieving sales targets
- Passionate about achieving high levels of excellence
- Proven experience in development of direct reports
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to a changing environment
- Proven leadership abilities, including the ability to inspire team members and direct reports
- Track record of sales management success
- High level of interpersonal, communication, presentation skills and ability to inspire
- History of management training; including, hiring training, diversity, accountability, motivation, and employee development
- Bachelor degree, (business, technology, or science) Required
- Fluent in English, written and oral
- Domestic travel required up to 50 - 70%
- US Field based
Excellent salary and benefits package offered
Please visit our website, www.akceatx.com, to apply for this position. Reference Requisition #15-0119
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. are proud to be EEO employers.