Akcea Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing drugs to treat patients with serious rare diseases. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we must drive clinical
program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics. Akcea has a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced
Akcea was established by Ionis Pharmaceuticals in late 2014 and was listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange in July 2017 under the symbol “AKCA.” Akcea is a global company headquartered in Cambridge, MA with offices in Carlsbad, CA and across the EU and Canada.
Clinical Diagnostic Specialist - NYC
The Clinical Diagnostic Specialist will help launch Tegsedi by calling on healthcare practitioners (HCPs) and institutions involved in the care of patients with hereditary transthyretin amyloidosis (hATTR amyloidosis). The Diagnostic Specialist will educate
HCPs regarding this condition, its signs/symptoms, which patients would be appropriate to test for this condition and how to test. Targets will be key academic medical centers and/or amyloidosis centers that focus on the testing, management and/or treatment
of patients with hATTR amyloidosis. Specialties that may be call points for the Diagnostic Specialists may include: pathology, genetics, neurology, cardiology, and/or hematology.
The Clinical Diagnostic Specialist will be accountable for their territory’s performance, including executing all commercial activities. This individual will be responsible for analyzing the hATTR amyloidosis market, developing a localized business and
routing plan, and efficiently managing the territory. The Diagnostic Specialist will collaborate closely with their partners across Akcea to achieve success in their territory.
- Promote patient-centered disease and product education to HCPs to improve patient care and achieve or exceed company objectives for territory
- Develop and execute a strategic and tactical plan to drive business objectives based on territory-level data and insights, including referral and cross-disciplinary practice dynamics
- Generate adoption of Diagnostic Pathways in targeted accounts to gain early and accurate diagnosis of patients with hATTR amyloidosis
- Educate HCPs regarding testing methodologies to accurately diagnose patients
- Effectively utilize available resources and programs including peer-to-peer education, and cross-functional partners to address identified knowledge gaps
- Navigate and identify opportunities through healthcare including academic medical institutions, integrated delivery networks, accountable care organizations, private practices, and community hospital systems
- Demonstrate leadership through active collaboration with partners across the organization and proactive contributions that improve Regional, National and Global performance
- Execute all of the above with strong understanding and adherence to compliance and corporate policies including appropriate documentation and reporting
- Other projects or activities as assigned
- Minimum 5+ years sales in Biotech, Specialty Pharmaceutical, and/or Rare Disease
- Pathology, Genetics, Neurology, and/or Cardiology experience strongly preferred, including history of:
- Building relationships with physicians who may test for, refer, diagnose and/or treat hATTR amyloidosis
- Building Account relationships in medical centers and teaching hospitals with specialty departments who treat patients referred by community clinicians or other hospitals
- Understanding of injectable products
- Commercial “start-up” experience
- Documented track record of delivering consistent, exceptional levels of performance and leadership
- Highly motivated, entrepreneurial, self-starter, with experience effectively partnering with HCPs
- Ability to manage ambiguity, navigate complexity, and be creative and solutions-oriented
- Demonstrated success educating physicians about:
- Complex diseases that may present with a spectrum of non-specific and/or heterogeneous signs/symptoms
- Diverse patient profiles which do not always lend themselves to simple segmentation and categorization for diagnostic and/or treatment decisions
- Ability to build lasting relationships with institutions and practices with barriers to access
- Product launch experience is preferred
- Rare disease, orphan drug, and specialty pharmacy distribution experience is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Valid driver’s license required
- Bachelor’s degree (business, technology, or science) required
- Fluent in English, written and oral
- Domestic travel required and ranges from 30% -70% depending on territory
US Field based
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.akceatx.com, to apply for this position.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.