Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators, payers, health care providers and patients to ensure the therapies reach and help those in need.
Established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a robust portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
We are seeking a finance professional to contribute to the success of Akcea by providing financial support to several departments and the finance team. This position offers the opportunity to be in a “hands on” role within the finance team and contribute
by providing financial analysis, budgeting, and reporting expertise, while at the same time serving as a liaison to and becoming knowledgeable of the operations of the functional groups being supported. The ideal candidate will have strong financial analysis
capabilities, an understanding of financial systems, modeling, the ability to perform responsibilities within tight schedules, and an excellent working knowledge of finance and accounting practices in a corporate environment. The position requires effective
interpersonal skills, leadership qualities, and the ability to build positive cross-functional business relationships. This person must feel comfortable working closely with various levels of management and be able to exercise sound judgment.
- Provides financial support to operating departments through financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting and analysis
- Coordinates with various levels of management to gather, analyze, summarize, and prepare operating budgets and financial forecasts
- Creates, analyzes and reports department financials to operating departments, including monthly summaries of actuals to budget among other reporting requirements
- Develops and maintains financial reporting system through creation and maintenance of templates and reports
- Improves reporting and analysis efficiency by advancing both systems and business processes
- Hands-on preparation of journal entries, reports and analyses in support of month-end, quarter-end and year-end close processes
- Conducts special studies to analyze complex financial issues and prepares recommendations to inform senior management
- Drives month end accrual process, ensuring that all spend is accounted for
- Tracks and reports contracts and purchase orders
- Establishes databases of pertinent information for use in analyzing future plans and forecasts, for example, evaluating and modeling cash flow
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting or Business. MBA and/or CMA/CPA preferred.
- 6 to 9 years of experience in a corporate finance setting
- Minimum 5 years of experience as financial support for operating units/departments
- Strong working knowledge of GAAP
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task in an intense, entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to work independently, self-motivated and proactive with a desire to wear multiple hats and collaborate cross-functionally to contribute to the success of the organization
- Discretion: individual exercises judgment to determine appropriate action, while taking into consideration implications to currently defined practices and policies. Expected to recommend, obtain approval and implement appropriate actions outside of defined
policies or precedent when necessary
- Life Sciences industry experience preferred
- Publicly traded company and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance experience preferred
- Great Plains experience preferred
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information on Akcea and to apply for this position, please visit our website,
www.akceatx.com. Reference Requisition # 16-0105
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.