Akcea Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing drugs to treat patients with serious rare diseases. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we must drive clinical
program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics. Akcea has a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced
Akcea was established by Ionis Pharmaceuticals in late 2014 and was listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange in July 2017 under the symbol “AKCA.” Akcea is a global company headquartered in Boston, MA with offices in Carlsbad, CA and across Europe and Canada.
Vice President, Global Marketing
The Vice President, Global Marketing is responsible for establishing a vision and leading cross-functional and global teams in the development and implementation of potentially multiple products through world-class launches. This is an opportunity to work
at the forefront of innovative science, defining and executing innovative and patient-centric solutions for both commercial-stage and pipeline programs.
This position could be based in either our Carlsbad, CA or Boston, MA offices. Expected travel 50% (domestic and global).
- Lead and develop team of marketers responsible for commercial leadership of products ranging from in-line and commercially available across multiple countries to investigational programs at various stages of clinical development and regulatory review
- Ensure strategic, seamless development and execution of disease and brand strategies and tactics on a global basis
- Establish a best-in-class approach to global marketing through ongoing partnership with all geographies and scalable, innovative approaches to tactics and programs that achieve global brand priorities and improve country performance
- Oversee and ensure flawless execution of US marketing, including partnership with all aspects of US commercialization, including field sales, market access, patient support and medical affairs
- Ensure integration of internal and external data sources to continually improve marketing effectiveness
- Design and execute programming to optimize the complete customer experience for both prescribers and patients
- Determine brand and market KPIs and implement and manage trackers and monitoring practices to measure and continually improve effectiveness
- Partner with cross-functional colleagues in development and execution of strategy to engage medical thought leadership, partner societies and patient advocacy groups
- Lead the development and execution of Brand Planning and budget and supports the delivery and implementation of the core business planning activities
- Ensure timely and efficient review of promotional materials and complies fully with all legal, regulatory, ethical and company guidelines
- Manage external agencies as collaborative, strategic partners to ensure excellent execution of marketing programs aligned with brand strategic imperatives
- Other projects or activities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and preferably Master’s degree in scientific or business discipline
- 10+ years of strong marketing and sales background in pharmaceutical markets; strong preference for specialty pharmaceutical experience and experience within competitive markets
- Prior industry experience in commercial or management role outside of the US a plus
- Global marketing experience leading and partnering with country-level counterparts
- US marketing experience planning, communicating and leading marketing strategies, ideally with specialty sales forces
- Experience in leading and motivating agency partners to deliver high impact marketing initiatives
- Broad commercial experience including both in-line and new product planning marketing
- Proven experience and knowledge of a broad base of external customers including patients, prescribers, payers, providers
- Demonstrated use of insights to deliver effective marketing strategies
- Thorough understanding of the brand development process and necessary commercial touch points
- Superior cross-functional project team leadership and influencing skills
- Strong leadership attributes to generate commitment and constructively resolve issues
- Understanding of the R&D process and importance of integrating commercial and development strategy and plans
- Ability in thriving in ambiguity, with an entrepreneurial mind-set with a track record of exploring new ways of working, driving new opportunities and catalyzing others to build creative solutions
- Strong sense of urgency and ability to generate exceptional results by driving performance and collaborating across boundaries
- Innovates and develops an environment of continuous improvement and simplification
- Significant levels of ambition and motivation
- Enterprise mindset and focus; strong process skills and ability to effectively work in a matrixed organization with cross-functional teams
- Resourceful, decisive and proactive; must be able to manage multiple priorities in a fast-growing organization
- Sound judgment, high integrity and ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Track record of strong people development
- Effective stakeholder and relationship management experience; able to interact and build trusted relationships with multiple levels
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information on Akcea and to apply for this position, please visit our website: www.akceatx.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.