Akcea Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercialising drugs to treat patients with serious rare diseases. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we must drive clinical
program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics. Akcea has a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced
Akcea was established by Ionis Pharmaceuticals in late 2014 and was listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange in July 2017 under the symbol “AKCA.” Akcea is a global company headquartered in Cambridge, MA with offices in Carlsbad, CA and across the EU and Canada.
In preparation for these potential approvals, Akcea now wishes to appoint a Field Medical Director for the UK & Ireland reporting to the Medical Director, UK, Ireland & Nordics to be responsible for all field based medical activity for Inotersen in hATTR.
Field Medical Director – UK and Ireland
The Field Medical Director (FMD) will serve as Akcea’s field-based clinical and medical expert responsible for appropriately engaging in scientific exchange and gaining insights in support of Akcea’s products, research areas, and disease states of interest.
The FMD will develop and maintain long-term, credible, peer-to-peer professional relationships with both medical experts in the fields of hATTR and other medical disciplines related to the management of patients with targeted diseases (e.g. hATTR) as well
as clinical study investigators. Through scientific exchange, the FMD will communicate and advance the scientific platform aligned with the overall medical communications and medical affairs strategies.
- Identify and forge professional peer-to-peer relationships with national, regional and local key opinion leaders
- Lead and manage the field medical team
- Align and execute field activities in support of the Medical Affairs Strategic plan
- Identify and communicate research gaps, opportunities, and relevant field intelligence to inform medical strategy
- Accelerate recruitment efforts and enhance subject retention at targeted clinical trial sites
- Leverage expertise to enhance and broaden knowledge among field medical team colleagues
- Attend medical/scientific meetings to represent Akcea’s Medical Affairs with KOLs and other HCPs, strengthen individual expertise as well as capture, integrate, and summarize information of strategic interest
- Appropriately facilitate submission of Medical Education grants and Investigator-Initiated Research
- Support cross-functional colleagues (e.g. commercial, clinical operations, clinical development) in appropriate activities
- Actively participate in relevant team meetings, organizational activities, and HQ-driven medical affairs and clinical research activities (e.g. advisory boards, publication planning, investigator meetings)
- Utilizing unique skills, assume lead responsibility for project work identified by Medical Affairs leadership and/or organizational priorities
- Local, regional and national travel up to 75%
- MD (strongly preferred) or advanced scientific degree (PhD/PharmD)
- Strong understand of UK health systems
- Site investigation experience
- Experience in field-based medical role in pharmaceutical or biotechnology company
- Expertise and experience in rare and/or ultra-rare disease/s ideally with experience of amyloidosis or similar disease area.
- Managed and developed KOL networks
- Strong understanding of relevant policies guiding the pharmaceutical industry within assigned countries
- Ideally will have leadership experience and have managed a team of MSLs.
- Experience in communicating and building relations with authorities, health care sector professionals including specialist care and sales, as well as KOL management
- Strong in delivering well defined measurable results (plan vs. actual)
Akcea offers an attractive remuneration package that corresponds to the level and responsibilities of this role as well as the opportunity to work in an inspiring, strongly team-orientated environment of high personal
engagement with a drive for joint success.
For more information on Akcea and to apply for this position, please visit our website:
Reference Requisition 18-0111