Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics.
Established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a robust portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
In the third quarter of 2017, we plan to file for marketing authorization for volanesorsen to treat patients with FCS and are seeking talented professionals to support our efforts.
Field Medical Director, Northwest Region
Brief Position Summary: Serving as the field extension of our Global Medical Affairs group and reporting to the National Director, Field Medical - North America, the Field Medical Director (FMD) will serve as Akcea’s field-based clinical and medical expert
responsible for appropriately engaging in scientific exchange and gaining insights in support of Akcea Therapeutics’ products, research areas, and disease states of interest.
The FMD will develop and maintain long-term, credible, peer-to-peer professional relationships with both medical experts in the fields of lipidology and other medical disciplines related to the management of patients with targeted diseases (e.g. FCS, FPL)
as well as clinical study investigators. Through scientific exchange, the FMD will communicate and advance the scientific platform aligned with the overall medical communications and medical affairs strategies.
Primary Position Responsibilities/Tasks:
- Identify and forge professional peer-to-peer relationships with National, Regional, and Local key opinion leaders
- Align and execute field activities in support of Medical Affairs Strategic plan
- Identify and communicate research gaps, opportunities, and relevant field intelligence to inform medical strategy
- Accelerate recruitment efforts and enhance subject retention at targeted clinical trial sites
- Leverage expertise to enhance and broaden knowledge among field medical team colleagues
- Attend medical/scientific meetings to represent Akcea’s Medical Affairs with KOLs and other HCPs, strengthen individual expertise as well as capture, integrate, and summarize information of strategic interest
- Appropriately facilitate submission of Medical Education grants and Investigator-Initiated Research
- Support cross-functional colleagues (e.g. commercial, clinical operations, clinical development), in appropriate activities
- Actively participate in relevant team meetings, organizational activities, and HQ-driven medical affairs and clinical research activities (e.g. advisory boards, publication planning, investigator meetings)
- Utilizing unique skills, assume lead responsibility for project work identified by Medical Affairs leadership and/or organizational priorities
- Local, regional and national travel up to 75%
- MD, PhD, PharmD, or DO strongly preferred
- 5 years’ experience in field-based medical role in pharmaceutical or biotechnology company
- Expertise and experience in Lipidology, Cardiology, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology or other field related to Akcea’s products and disease states of interest
- Strong understanding of relevant policies guiding the Pharmaceutical Industry
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong multi-tasking, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.akceatx.com, to apply for this position. Reference Requisition #16-0063
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.