Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics.
Established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a robust portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
In the third quarter of 2017, we plan to file for marketing authorization for volanesorsen to treat patients with FCS and are seeking talented professionals to support our efforts.
General Manager for Germany & Central European Region
The General Manager for Germany & Central European Region has primarily responsibility for developing and implementing strategies and tactics to support successful commercialization of volanesorsen, a novel antisense investigational therapy now in Phase
3 trials for two different, rare, lipid disorders, in the specified markets. It will also will be the first commercial position in Europe for Akcea, and will assume a leadership role for specific, time-sensitive activities required in other markets which may
not yet have a commercial lead.
The General Manager for Germany & Central European Region will report to the Head of Europe and will work closely with multiple functions, particularly the European Medical Director and global leads for Market Access & Pricing, Medical Affairs, Marketing,
and Patient Advocacy.
Near-term priorities and responsibilities related to the commercialization of volanesorsen include:
- Developing region-level budget and launch plan through commercialization
- Provides region-specific perspective to all aspects of the business – supply chain, forecasting, branding, development planning
- Proactively communicate with relevant internal (e.g., Marketing, Program Management, Sales, Commercial Ops, Medical Affairs, Regulatory, Preclinical, Legal, HEOR, PR/IR, Market Access, Clinical Operations, internal communication) and external (e.g., Alliance
partners, medical societies) stakeholders to identify, plan, develop or revise project deliverables which are identified for product or launch success
- Tracks and monitors progress of execution of plan (KPIs and the like)
- Support strategic commercial initiatives, including such activities as commercial forecast modeling, market planning, etc.
- Be responsible for achieving top and bottom line results as well as cash flow targets aimed at a maximum value return
- KOL development (relevant areas include lipidology, endocrinology, pancreas specialists/gastroenterologists), medical society and local congress strategy
- Developing a comprehensive disease awareness plan by adapting global strategies for disease awareness to region-level tactics
- Working in close partnership with Global Access to develop and begin execution of strategies to ensure optimal market access, pricing and reimbursement in the region, including evaluation of and access to innovative access models for rare disease drugs
including country launch sequence strategy
- Scoping and hiring the full region’s commercial team in advance of launch
- Adapt global marketing strategies and tactics for local execution
- 15 years’ experience in biotech or pharmaceuticals, including work with orphan or ultra-orphan products
- Bachelor’s degree in a science or technology and/or advanced degree in a related field (business, technology, or science)
- Experienced commercial leadership in the region including marketing, sales and access responsibility
- Prior country or regional level General Management experience a plus.
- Able to drive performance in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Comfortable working concurrently in multiple countries
- Superior written and verbal communication in English
- Self-directed, working with a great deal of autonomy
- Highly effective at managing time and able to resource
- Travel 40% - This position is expected to be prepared to have significant travel within its region as well as to other significant European markets, for activities including medical congresses and KOL engagement
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website, www.akceatx.com, to apply for this position. Reference Requisition #17-0022
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.