Akcea Therapeutics is a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercialising drugs to treat patients with serious rare diseases. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we must drive clinical
program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics. Akcea has a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced
Akcea was established by Ionis Pharmaceuticals in late 2014 and was listed on the NASDAQ stock exchange in July 2017 under the symbol “AKCA.” Akcea is a global company headquartered in Cambridge, MA with offices in Carlsbad, CA and across the EU and Canada.
Akcea's has 2 molecules currently under regulatory filing for the management of orphan disease; volanesorsen, for the management of patients with familial chylomicronaemia syndrome (FCS), and inotersen, for the management of Hereditary Transthyretin Amyloidosis
(hATTR). Consequently we have started to build our commercial and medical teams in each therapy area in preparation for launch and now have the following opportunity.
MSL - UK & ROI
Brief Position Summary:
Serving as the field extension of our Global Medical Affairs group and reporting to the Field Medical Director, the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) will serve as Akcea’s field-based clinical and medical expert responsible for appropriately engaging in scientific
exchange and gaining insights in support of Akcea Pharmaceuticals’ products, research areas, and disease states of interest.
The MSL will develop and maintain long-term, credible, peer-to-peer professional relationships with medical experts in the medical disciplines related to the management of patients with the targeted disease (FCS or hATTR), as well as clinical study investigators.
Through scientific exchange, the MSL will communicate and advance the scientific platform aligned with the overall medical communications and medical affairs strategies.
Primary Position Responsibilities/Tasks:
- Identify and forge professional peer-to-peer relationships with National, Regional, and Local key opinion leaders
- Align and execute field activities in support of the Medical Affairs Strategic plan
- Identify and communicate research gaps, opportunities, and relevant field intelligence to inform medical strategy
- Accelerate recruitment efforts and enhance subject retention at targeted clinical trial sites
- Leverage expertise to enhance and broaden knowledge among field medical team colleagues
- Attend medical/scientific meetings to represent Akcea’s Medical Affairs with KOLs and other HCPs, strengthen individual expertise as well as capture, integrate, and summarize information of strategic interest
- Appropriately facilitate submission of Medical Education grants and Investigator-Initiated Research
- Support cross-functional colleagues (e.g. commercial, clinical operations, clinical development, Patient Engagement), in appropriate activities
- Actively participate in relevant team meetings, organizational activities, and HQ or Country- driven
medical affairs and clinical research activities (e.g. advisory boards, publication planning, investigator meetings)
- Utilizing unique skills, assume lead responsibility for project work identified by Medical Affairs leadership, GM, and/or organizational priorities
Minimum Qualifications & Experience:
- MD, PhD, PharmD
- ≥ 5 years experience in field-based medical role in pharmaceutical or biotechnology company
- Expertise and experience in the field related to Akcea’s products and disease states of interest
- Strong understanding of relevant policies guiding the Pharmaceutical Industry within assigned countries
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable presenting and discussing complex data with senior clinicians
- Strong multi-tasking, time management, and organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work both independently and in a team environment
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- Collaborative and able to work in a multi-disciplinary environment while working remotely
- This is a field-based role involving extensive travel within the UK & ROI on a regular basis
- Hold a full UK driving licence
Excellent salary and benefits package offered, as well as the opportunity to work in an inspiring, strongly team-orientated environment of high personal engagement with a drive for joint success.
For more information on Akcea, please visit our website: