Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to do so, we
must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators, payers, health care providers and patients to ensure the therapies reach and help those in need.
Established as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a robust portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
Director, Global Training, Education & Development
The Director of Global Training, Education & Development will play a critical and significant role in the successful commercialization of volanesorsen for familial chylomicronemia syndrome (FCS) and the growth and future of Akcea as an organization. She
or he will lead the build-out and management of strategies, programs, and tactics to enable field- and headquarters-based teams to achieve commercial success by establishing a foundation of scientific credibility, clinical understanding, and commercial acumen.
The Director of Global Training, Education & Development will be a member of a cross-functional leadership team, partnering closely with colleagues in marketing, sales leadership, medical affairs, legal, promotion regulatory, market access, patient advocacy
and patient support. In addition, she or he will partner at the country-level in Europe and Canada to ensure a coordinated training approach and continuity of results.
- Work with cross-functional, global commercial leadership colleagues to establish training objectives and initiatives that translate the commercial strategy into actionable, goal-oriented behavior for field teams
- Develop and execute training content and programming that achieves goal-oriented behavioral objectives by:
- Providing a superior foundation of scientific and clinical knowledge to enable fluent conversations with health care providers
- Employing multiple training modalities to ensure understanding of the realities of clinical practice and the patient experience
- Ensure core curriculum for field teams includes proper training of data systems and reporting in support of defined business objectives
- Proactively assess knowledge gaps within field teams and in collaboration with appropriate colleagues, work to address gaps through training initiatives and programs
- Continuously evaluate and measure the effectiveness of current training programs and identify improvements that serve to sustain and improve comprehension, application and competence
- Partner with commercial team leaders, and HR Business Partners to identify skills and competencies needed to strengthen the company’s pipeline of talent
- Develop and deliver manager training programs and coaching for managers/directors as well as source external programs as appropriate
- Provide leadership career development leadership, which includes developing new tools and programming to support our talent strategy
- Provide quarterly data reporting, sharing insights on the impact of these programs to the leadership team
- Operate within established budget to maximize program effectiveness
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industry, including at least 5 in sales training
- Sophisticated knowledge of adult learning principles and applications to health care products training
- Superior interpersonal, communication, motivation and presentation skills
- Sales and/or sales management experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience managing budgets
- Experience with therapeutic area (lipids and/or rare diseases) preferred
- Ability to be flexible and energetic in a dynamic work environment
- Passionate about achieving high levels of excellence
- Demonstrated flexibility to adapt to a changing environment
- Proven leadership abilities, including the ability to influence cross-functionally
- Track record of success in partnering with colleagues in Medical Affairs, Regulatory, Legal, and Operations
- Minimum bachelor degree, scientific or technical area
- Fluent in English, written and oral
- Travel expected to understand global stakeholders and customer environment (~20%)
- Cambridge, MA-based
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website,
www.akceatx.com, to apply for this position. Reference
Requisition # 16-0067
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. are proud to be EEO employers