Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense
drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have two approved drugs,
a robust pipeline of over 20 drugs in various stages of clinical trials, and multiple ongoing partnerships with pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies. This strategy provides us with significant financial strength through a continuing stream of revenue
from upfront license fees and milestone payments.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets
into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
SCIENTIST, NEUROSCIENCE DRUG DISCOVERY
We are seeking a highly qualified individual with relevant experience for a position in our neuroscience drug discovery group. Our neuroscience group is working to apply Ionis’ technology to diseases of the central nervous system. We currently have active
projects in many neurodegenerative diseases with high unmet medical need. Successful candidates will contribute to initiating and executing neuroscience drug discovery projects at all stages, including new target identification, preclinical target validation,
and drug lead identification for clinical development. The candidate will become an integral part of an interdisciplinary team of scientists in the Ionis neuroscience group.
- With guidance, participate intellectually in a scientifically rigorous environment by evaluating primary literature, proposing new ideas, and critically evaluating experimental results for selected projects
- With minimal guidance, design and conduct experiments involving neurosurgery in mice and rats using standardized procedures to evaluate antisense oligonucleotides as therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases
- With some guidance perform and troubleshoot biochemical assays to evaluate changes in RNA and protein as needed for projects
- With some guidance analyze results and summarize findings in reports and periodic oral presentations
- B.S. with 2-5 years of experience or M.S. with 0-3 years of experience in Neurobiology or a related field.
- Extensive experience in animal experimentation is required.
- Demonstrated experience with basic laboratory skills such as lab math calculations, solution/media preparation and dilutions is required
- Demonstrated experience with PCR is required.
- Use and familiarity with protein analyses is a plus.
- Proven ability to analyze experimental data and effectively explain conclusions.
- Capable of troubleshooting data and designing follow-on experiments with some instruction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to be flexible as workload and priorities demand.
- The ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- The ability to be productive and successful in an intense fast paced work environment.
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
To apply for this position please visit our website at
Reference Requisition # 17-0017
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE – PRINCIPALS ONLY
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.