Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is a development and commercialization company focused on impacting the lives of patients with serious cardiometabolic lipid disorders. Our priority is to bring important new therapeutics to patients in need. In order to achieve
goal, we must drive clinical program execution, understand patient and physician needs and work with regulators to gain global approval and market access to these new therapeutics.
Established as a subsidiary of Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in late 2014 and based in Cambridge, Massachusetts, Akcea was founded with a portfolio of development-stage drugs covering multiple targets and disease states using advanced antisense
therapeutics. In July 2017, Akcea closed its initial public offering of common stock and is listed on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol “AKCA.”
Regional Nurse Case Manager – Southeast Region
Akcea Therapeutics is seeking a Nurse Case Manager (NCM) to join our team. At Akcea, patients are at the center of everything we do.
The NCM is aligned regionally and is responsible for educating patients, caregivers and families affected by Familial Chylomicronemia Syndrome (FCS) about the disease and Akcea’s products and services. The NCM may provide resources to help patients better
manage and coordinate their disease and their treatment (e.g., injection training, diet management, platelet monitoring). The NCM is responsible for participating in one-on-one communications with patients and care givers as well as appropriate HCP personnel.
The NCM interfaces and engages with a cross-section of professional resources in the community including health care providers, case managers, allied professional staff, patients and their caregivers.
The Nurse Case Manager will:
- Provide direct educational training to patients about FCS and available treatment options.
- Communicate reimbursement updates and findings to appropriate internal and external customers.
- Engage with patients, providers and Specialty Pharmacy (SPPs) to ensure all needs are met and appropriate support is being given on an individualized basis.
- Collaborate with SPPs, Market Access, Reimbursement Specialist and insurance companies to troubleshoot and resolve reimbursement-related issues
- Provide patient-focused education to promote behavioral change for the empowerment of patients to improve specific treatment compliance.
- Maintain a current, proficient understanding of the commercial insurers, Medicaid, and Medicare Part D Benefit and Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) benefits with the changes each year.
- Develop relationships and manage multiple and complex challenges that patient and caregivers are facing.
- Ensure compliance with relevant industry laws and Akcea policies.
- Aligned regional travel will be required for patient education, to support patient programs and assist HCP with reimbursement.
- Bachelor’s degree
- BSN and/or RN licensure.
- Current nursing license in good standing.
- 5 + years clinical experience in healthcare to include hospital, home health, pharmaceutical or biotech.
- 2-5+ years of case management and reimbursement experience.
- 2+ years experience in pharmaceutical/ biotech industry.
- Previous experience with case management tasks, proven presentation experience or experience with a medium to large sales organization preferred.
- Previous sales experience in the pharmaceutical, biotech, or related industry is preferred
- Knowledge of clinical data and pharmacology.
- Must be an excellent communicator and problem-solver and be able to explain complex reimbursement scenarios to patients and healthcare professionals.
- Demonstrated time management skills; planning and prioritization skills; ability to multi-task and maintain prioritization of key projects and deadlines.
- Demonstrated effective presentation skills; ability to motivate others; excellent interpersonal (written and verbal) skills – with demonstrated effectiveness to work cross-functional and independently.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, follow and execute plans in an independent environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively build positive relationships both internally & externally.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable to changing work environments and responsibilities.
- Must be able to thrive in team environment and willing to contribute at all levels with flexibility and a positive attitude.
- Fully competent in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- Flexibility to work weekends and evenings, as needed.
- Participate in and complete required pharmacovigilance training.
- Comply with all relevant industry laws and Akcea policies.
- Fluency in Spanish (speaking) a plus
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information on Akcea and to apply for this position, please visit our website: www.akceatx.com
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.