Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat complex and challenging diseases. We are the pioneer in the discovery and development of antisense drugs
with more than 1600 patents.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our founding goals have changed little in over 20 years and our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested
in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
Business Development Sr. Manager/Assistant Director
Reporting to the Executive Director of Business Development, the Sr. Manager/Assistant Director will be responsible for supporting the business team in a number of key business initiatives. In order to be successful in this position, this individual will
need to show demonstrated skills in writing and analyzing market data with an ability to communicate in a clear, consistent format. This individual will need to have the ability to work within a team atmosphere and independently on project assignments. This
individual will be primarily responsible for executing on the business development goals, which includes all aspects of managing a transaction including generating leads, to negotiating contracts to managing alliances. This position will support other cross-functional
business related activities such as competitive intelligence and corporate communications/investor relations.
- Write thoughtful and concise business proposals, concept papers and term sheets that effectively communicate the key benefits and advantages of partnering with Ionis
- Quickly establish productive working relationships with multiple internal Franchise Heads and Project Team Leaders to align on key partnering goals and issues
- Lead internal and external meetings and support activities as part of the business development deal process from concept to closing
- Lead due diligence visits for potential partners including creation of an electronic data rooms, preparing agendas or presentation books and coordinating logistics
- Perform market analytics, including analyses on market sizing, research on specific companies or products, track industry deal news and identify appropriate business development contacts at potential companies
- Schedule effective partnering meetings at business development and scientific conferences with the key decision makers at potential partner companies
- Support Corporate Communications activities including webcast presentations and written communications (e.g. press releases)
- Support Alliance Management activities including regular alliance reviews and management of Ionis business relationships
- Support business team in the execution of the Business Development goals, which requires an in-depth understanding of the corporate culture and business strategy
- Contribute to establishing the annual Business Development goals
- 5+ years of Biotech/Pharmaceutical industry experience
- 3+ years of directly related experience in business development, corporate development or alliance management within the biotech/pharmaceutical Industry
- Bachelors of Science degree preferably in Life, Physical or Behavioral Sciences (MBA, MS or JD degree preferred)
- Proven ability to achieve results in non-leader situations and influence without authority
- Excellent organizational, writing, analytical, and communication skills as well as interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of key components of drug discovery and development
- Deep understanding of basic marketing concepts and secondary market research techniques (literature searches, market trends, competitive intelligence)
- Ability to multi-task and manage business development activities for multiple therapeutic areas
- Willing and enthusiastic to perform cross-functional activities to support a variety of business needs
- Ability to work successfully in an interdisciplinary team setting and in a collaborative manner across the company
- Confident and competent when interacting with varying levels of management and colleagues; comfortable participating in open debate in order to identify new ideas, and challenge concepts and hypotheses
- Assumes ownership of, and personal responsibility for jobs/projects and associated timelines
- Foster substantive relationships and credibility internally and externally
- Able to be productive and successful in an intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information on Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website, www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition # 16-0033
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer