Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, is the leading company in RNA-targeted drug discovery and development with a pipeline of first-in-class or best-in-class medicines with the potential to provide high value
for patients with significant unmet medical needs.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our founding goals have changed little in over 25 years and our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested
in bringing together individuals with different skill sets into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career!
SENIOR PAYROLL MANAGER
We currently have a regular full-time opening for a Senior Payroll Manager at our Carlsbad, California headquarters. We welcome well qualified candidates who meet the education and experience requirements as described below.
Incumbent will have the knowledge, expertise and drive to take our payroll function to the next level. S/he will effectively and efficiently lead all payroll activities for a 450+ multi-state, multi-company employee payroll using UltiPro Workplace; and
will thrive in an environment that demands high productivity, including meeting multiple deadlines within very tight schedules. This is a hands-on, management position with 1 direct report.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively manage and execute all aspects of the bi-weekly payroll processing for 450+ multi-state, multi-company employee payroll using the UltiPro Workplace payroll system ensuring accuracy, compliance and outstanding service goals are consistently met
- Ensure payroll operations are conducted in accordance with Ionis’ internal controls and maintain documentation in compliance with Sarbanes Oxley (SOX) requirements.
- Effectively supervise and mentor one direct report ensuring opportunities for growth that allow her to reach her full potential
- Perform monthly variance analysis and prepare monthly journal entries
- Compute and prepare manual checks, including calculation of withholdings and deductions that impact net earnings
- Review, analysis and management of Federal and California State wage reports
- Provide ad hock wage and compensation reporting via the Business Intelligence IBM Cognos reporting tool
- Maintain accurate balance sheet accounts by reconciling monthly/quarterly reports
- Provide key support to the Finance and Accounting group
- Participate in the yearly 401-k nondiscrimination testing and auditing
- Provide a high level of customer service to employees
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience
- At least 3 years in a public company payroll management position including staff management
- Demonstrated knowledge of California and Federal Labor laws, pay practices and policies
- Solid understanding of how employee stock purchase plans, non-qualified stock, incentive offerings, and restricted stock units are reported in payroll when vested and/or exercised
- Experience with SOX compliance
- Demonstrated understanding and experience with all types of wage support and garnishment orders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to effectively communicate across departments and at all levels
- Solution-oriented with sound problem-solving abilities
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Outstanding organizational skills with the ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize to ensure all deadlines are met with high quality work product
- Strong work ethic and an ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment
- Competent in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Experience with timekeeping applications
- Payroll processing via UltiPro Workplace
- General ledger accounting via Great Plains
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website to apply for this position:
Reference Requisition #17-0014
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.