Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense
drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved
drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets
into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
Clinical Development Fellow
We are seeking a dynamic and talented post-doctoral scientist/clinician to join our team in a newly created role of a Clinical Development Fellow.
Clinical Development Fellowship Objectives:
- Provide qualified post-doctoral candidates who have basic clinical training (MD or PharmD) or biologic/translational science training (PhD) with a unique opportunity to learn drug development science at an exciting and innovative organization
- Establish an ‘on-the-job learning’ environment using a one-on-one apprenticeship model which would allow exposure to various aspects of drug development for young clinical scientists who are interested in a career in the pharmaceutical industry
- Combine elements of didactic and practical learning into a personalized curriculum for each Fellow with clear, actionable goals
- Provide opportunities for mentorship and personal growth to up-and-coming Ionis leaders
Benefits for Participants:
- In-depth training as a Clinical Scientist supporting one or more development programs with clearly defined responsibilities and accountability, with measurable output
- Participation in a clinical development seminar-based curriculum aimed at exposing Fellows to various facets of development including regulatory science, clinical operations, pharmacology and PK, pharmacovigilance, biometrics, and project management. Research
curriculum such as HTS and oligonucleotide medicinal chemistry may also be included.
- Exposure to an exciting and dynamic learning culture at Ionis
- Ability to present their work to internal (departmental meetings) and external (scientific conferences) stakeholders
The Fellow will work as a Clinical Scientist-in-training on one or more clinical development programs. As much as possible, he/she should also participate in at least one Research to Development (R2D) Team as a training opportunity for literature
searches and summaries, competitive intelligence searches, and trial feasibility assessments. It is also expected that training will encompass data analysis (JMP and other platforms) and best practices for presentations.
In addition, the Fellow will be required to:
- Regularly attend data clubs, Research Management Committees (RMC) and Development Management Committees (DMC) meetings
- Regularly attend clinical development group meetings
- Complete Antisense 101 series of presentations and assigned reading of ASO and other related materials
- Participate in selected Ionis and external training classes and seminars
Requirements and Qualifications:
- M.D., Pharm D or PhD with additional post-doctoral experience/training
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as a track record of publications
- Strong interpersonal skills including a proven track record of building and maintaining effective working relationships with teams and partners
- Ability to manage multiple assignments effectively in a rapidly evolving environment
- An entrepreneurial spirit combined with a growth mindset and humility; enthusiasm and vision for converting cutting-edge science into patient-centric pharmaceutical applications
- Willingness to learn and be self-directed
- Humility and self-awareness
- Enjoyment of interrogative debate
- Ability to navigate around assumptions
- Curiosity and desire to get to the truth
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to influence others
- Strong listening skills
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
Please visit our website,
www.ionispharma.com, for more information about Ionis and to apply for this position; reference requisition #17-0123
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.