Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense
drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved
drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets
into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
IMMUNO-ONCOLOGY SENIOR SCIENTIST
We are currently seeking a qualified, highly motivated individual for the position of Senior Scientist in our Drug Discovery group. The successful candidate will be a strategic member of a fast-paced and interactive research group contributing to the discovery
of novel therapeutics.
- Apply expertise in immunology and/or immuno-oncology to plan, design, execute and troubleshoot experiments required for preclinical discovery and validation of experimental immunotherapeutic antisense drugs as well as their transition into clinical development
- Evaluate and characterize pharmacological responses to immunotherapeutic antisense compounds in various in vitro and in vivo cancer systems (e.g. effects on tumor progression and composition/functions of the tumor microenvironment)
- Apply different cell biology, molecular biology and biochemical tools to study biological mechanisms of drug action/pathway modulation
- Design, optimize, characterize, validate and implement relevant in vivo and in vitro immunology/immuno-oncology models for profiling of the pharmacologic effects of immunotherapeutic antisense drugs
- Search, evaluate and adopt the latest methodology/ technology to increase the functionality and efficiency of preclinical immuno-oncology research
- Other duties as assigned
- PhD in life sciences, with a focus on immunology, oncology or immune-oncology
- 3+ years of relevant (see the requirements below) experience beyond the graduate school
- Strong track record of innovative research demonstrated by several publications (first and co-first author) in peer-reviewed journals is essential
- In-depth knowledge of the molecular and cellular biology of the immune system ideally in the context of cancer is required
- Experience and ability to perform animal handling (compound administration, blood collection, general necropsy) is required
- Hands on experience with in vivo immunology or immuno-oncology models (e.g. subcutaneous/orthotopic syngeneic models) is required. Experience with other in vivo immuno-oncology-related models (e.g. GEMMs, chemically-induced, humanized mice) is highly desired
- Experience and ability to perform basic cells biology/immunology techniques such as tissue culture (both established lines and primary cells), enrichment/purification of different cell types from tissues (e.g. immunomagnetic selection or sorting) and multi-color
flow cytometry is highly desired
- Experience and ability to perform basic molecular biology/biochemistry techniques such as RNA extraction, RT-qPCR analysis, and immunoblot are required
- Computer literacy is essential. Ability to perform mathematical calculations and data analysis using Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism or other similar data analysis software is required
- A proactive scientist who can function both as an independent researcher as well as a member within multi-disciplinary teams
- Occasional off-hour and weekend schedule
- Excellent organizational skills and multi-tasking abilities
- Proven interpersonal skills as well as strong oral and written communication skills
- An ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website,
www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition # 18-0105
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and all its subsidiaries are proud to be EEO employers.