Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc., located in the North San Diego County city of Carlsbad, was founded in 1989 to create advanced, novel medicines to treat diseases with an unmet medical need. We are the pioneer and leader in the discovery and development of antisense
drugs. By exploiting various cutting-edge RNA targeting technologies, we are capable of specifically and efficiently targeting any gene of interest, including ones which are not targetable by small molecules or antibodies. We currently have three approved
drugs, and a robust pipeline of over 30 drugs in various stages of clinical trials.
Ionis is a challenging, motivating and rewarding environment designed to foster innovation and scientific excellence. Our success is a direct result of our outstanding employees. We are interested in bringing together individuals with different skill sets
into this creative environment to be part of a productive team. Join us and experience our unique culture while you develop and expand your career.
Research Associate (BS/MS)- Lead Identification Group, Antisense Drug Discovery
The Antisense Drug Discovery department seeks a Research Associate (BS/MS) to join the lead identification team in the discovery of antisense inhibitors against novel gene targets.
This will be a temporary-to-hire position. In this position, the successful candidate will evaluate the effect of antisense oligonucleotides on the expression of specific transcripts, characterize lead inhibitors as well as examine
the cellular mechanisms that contribute to oligonucleotide activity in mammalian cells. Primary responsibilities include mammalian cell culture, oligonucleotide transfection, RNA isolation and quantitative RT-PCR. We are looking for motivated individuals
with strong attention to detail, experience in cellular and molecular biology and strong computer skills.
- Mammalian cell culture (primary and immortalized)
- Antisense oligonucleotide transfection/screening.
- RNA isolation and quantitative RT-PCR
- Analysis and presentation of data/results.
- Development, optimization and validation of experimental methods.
- Performs experiments with minimal guidance and prepares summary of results for review and interpretation.
- Willingness to take a temporary-to-hire position.
- B.S. with 2-5 years of experience or M.S. with 0-3 years of experience in Biology or a related field.
- Extensive experience in mammalian cell culture is required.
- Demonstrated experience with basic laboratory skills such as lab math calculations, solution/media preparation and dilutions is required
- Demonstrated experience with PCR, RT-PCR and qPCR is required.
- Use and familiarity with high-throughput liquid handlers is a plus.
- Proven ability to analyze experimental data and effectively explain conclusions.
- Capable of troubleshooting data and designing follow-on experiments with some instruction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- The ability to be flexible as workload and priorities demand.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- An ability to be productive and successful in an intense fast paced work environment.
Excellent salary and benefits package offered.
For more information about Ionis and to apply for this position, please visit our website,
www.ionispharma.com. Reference Requisition # 17-0039
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. PRINCIPALS ONLY.
Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is proud to be an EEO employer.