||Vice President, Publications
||American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Vice President, Publications
In collaboration with the CEO, Executive Team, and other directors, the AGU VP, Publications provides executive-level leadership for the AGU Publications Department and oversees the publications program, the largest single activity of AGU.
Reporting to the Executive Vice President for Science, the VP, Publications provides leadership, vision, strategic direction, and bottom-line execution of the development, production, distribution, and sales of AGU publication products and services in all media
so that short-term and long-term strategic objectives of the AGU are met.
• Lead and help to set a strategic direction for AGU publications and ensure that objectives and developments follow these strategic directions.
• Achieve the publications program objectives and assigned short-term and long-term objectives embodied in the AGU’s strategic plan.
• Responsible for AGU publications from the conceptual phase through sales and delivery to the end user.
• Meet or exceed the annual budgeted net return for the publications program while meeting the program goals and building for the future fiscal well-being of the AGU.
• Work with volunteers to develop and evaluate new publication products to assess member needs and to provide programs to meet those needs.
• Responsible for working with the Publications Committee to formulate policies and procedures that will enhance the publications program and that will assure the objectives of the Publications Committee's long-term strategy plan are met.
• Develop and gain support with volunteers and staff for plans and procedures to improve the publications program so that it responds to the evolving needs of the constituents; seize opportunities and minimize the impact of threats; and provide a strong foundation
for the future.
• Responsible for guiding and supporting the editorial selection process, for orienting and advising volunteer editors about policy matters, and for providing logistical support for the review process.
• Responsible for strategic coordination and leading of regular meetings with AGU Publications’ partner Wiley.
• Provide oversight and coordination with AGU’s publishing partner Wiley to ensure smooth and timely production and distribution of manuscripts and other publication services including managing AGU copyright, Library of Congress registration, trademark and
service registration, rights and permissions, royalties, reprints, promotion, and advertising across all AGU publications.
• Remain active in the publishing community and represent AGU on appropriate committees of other organizations.
AGU VP, Publications Page 2
• Provide in a digestible format to the staff, volunteer decision-makers, and influencers of decisions meaningful information about the environment and health of the publications program in order to improve the quality of decisions.
• Supervise and manage the overall AGU Publications team.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate easily and effectively with scientists and senior executives both inside and outside of AGU.
• Strong knowledge of the entire publishing process, both print and online, is required.
• Demonstrated knowledge of state-of-the-art developments in print and electronic scholarly publication is essential.
• Deep knowledge of the Earth and space sciences.
• Ability to translate effectively the financial and business aspects of publishing to scholars.
• Must be collaborative in nature, utilizing exceptional listening and facilitation skills to build effective teams, drive effective outcomes, and to develop innovative solutions that meet the needs of multiple stakeholders.
• Must be able to perform responsibilities with composure under the stress of deadlines/ requirements for accuracy and quality and/or fast pace.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and make sound resource, budget, and personnel decisions.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to build support for AGU priorities and foster trust with the organization’s various constituencies.
• Proven success in fostering working relationships with board members, councils, committees, member groups, and key stakeholders.
• Knowledge of both the commercial and non-profit organizational environment preferred.
• Report preparation and research skills.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Ability to multitask under pressing deadlines.
• Proven supervisory skills.
• Ability to exercise the highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters, and to maintain high level of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated ability to drive strategic concepts to execution.
• Excellent computer skills including strong understanding of databases and project management software is a must. Experience in the development and monitoring of spreadsheets, complex financial models, and other analyses.
• Ability to travel.
• 10+ years of experience with advanced degree in the geosciences or other science discipline preferred; or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
• Experience in a senior management position with bottom line accountability.
• Extensive online publishing experience, and a working understanding of web-based publishing technologies.
• Experience with producing journals according to the highest scholarly publications standards is an essential requirement; knowledge of books, news publications, and/or geoscience publications is a strong plus.
• Experience with content acquisition policies and content licensing.
• Experience in managing personnel.
• Previous experience working in a membership organization environment is preferred.
Bert Davis Executive Search firm is recruiting this position, please contact Kristi Johnston (email@example.com) or John Tagler (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jim Conley (email@example.com).
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend