||Media Relations Specialist
||Title: Media Relations Specialist
Position Type: Full-Time (Two openings)
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
AGU is a global community of 130,000 Earth and space scientists, advocates and experts. As the Media Relations Specialist, you will support a dynamic association that publishes peer-reviewed journals and scientific books and convenes the largest Earth and space science meeting in the world. Through our initiatives, such as mentoring, professional development and awards, AGU upholds and fosters an inclusive and diverse scientific community.
AGU offers our employees great benefits, including flexible work schedules, retirement savings options, as well as health, dental, life and disability insurance. AGU also provides exciting opportunities for professional development and tuition support.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Media Relations Specialist does
AGU’s media relations program is designed to expand AGU’s reputation as an authoritative voice for the Earth and space sciences. The Media Relations Specialist will support AGU’s overall media relations program by providing media relations support for AGU science, as well as the organization’s programs and strategic goals. By contributing to the overall media relations program, this position will help elevate AGU’s voice and AGU science in the media and the public, ensuring AGU is perceived as a reliable, authoritative and valuable source of high-quality Earth and space science information while also increasing awareness and appreciation of the Earth and space sciences and their implications for society.
This position reports to the Director, Media Relations.
• Assists the Director, Media Relations, and other members of the media relations team with development of engaging, informative and consistent content related to AGU’s programs and strategic goals for both internal and external audiences. This includes, but is not limited to press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, talking points, facts sheets, web-based and e-newsletter stories, blog posts, social media posts, and multimedia.
• Partners with other members of the media relations team to develop press releases, blog posts, social media posts and other content related to newsworthy scientific findings being published in AGU journals and presented at AGU meetings. This includes working with partner organizations and institutions to publicize newsworthy scientific research published in AGU journals and presented at AGU meetings.
• Provides support to facilitate AGU’s press operations and media relations, including organizing and conducting press conferences and press-related events at AGU meetings and in other settings.
• Contributes to the execution of an active media program, including pitching stories to and responding to inquiries from the press.
• Collaborates with other members of the media relations team to draft speeches, presentations and other supporting communication materials for AGU executive and volunteer leadership.
• Monitors and reports on media coverage to AGU staff and AGU’s membership.
• Maintains and improves AGU’s media contact database and media monitoring capabilities through tools such as Cision.
• Supports AGU’s social media efforts through crafting content for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and other social media channels.
• Using analytics, contributes to innovative ways for AGU to engage its members, the Earth and space science community and the public on social media.
• Assists the Director, Media Relations, with running of AGU’s journalism awards, including committee selection, award application process, committee work, awardee communication and other duties.
• Other duties as assigned.
What the Media Relations Specialist brings to the team
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, public relations or related discipline with up to 3 years of experience. A degree or coursework in science or a related discipline is a plus.
• Experience with a variety of communications channels, including press releases, blog posts, websites, e-newsletters and social media.
• Experience interviewing researchers, translating complex science into simple concepts and writing about scientific results in an engaging, accurate way for the general public.
• Previous experience working for politic campaigns or a public relations agency is a plus.
• Excellent research, writing and communications skills with a strong preference for proficiency in AP style.
• Ability to synthesize information from a variety of sources and develop clear, concise messages that support and contribute to the organization’s strategic goals.
• Adept at assessing the newsworthiness of scientific findings.
• Ability to communicate easily and effectively with scientists and researchers, as well as AGU staff and leaders, in both public and private settings.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Strong time management and organizational skills, as well as attention to detail and ability to manage complex logistics.
• Skilled networker and recruiter; adept at quickly establishing relationships with members of the press, and public information officers at partner organizations and institutions.
• Highly motivated with the ability to work independently.
• Knowledge of writing and publishing software, such as Microsoft Word and Word Press, as well as e-mail and Microsoft Excel.
• Knowledge of news media monitoring systems, such as Cision or Vocus is a plus.
• Knowledge of social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube, and social media management software, such as Hootsuite.
• Proficient in analytics and analysis tools such as Google AdWords, Google Trends, Google Tag Manager, etc.
• Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
||Send This Job to a Friend