||Director, Engagement and Membership
||Title: Director, Engagement and Membership
Position Type: Full-Time
Location: Washington, DC
What we do and offer our team
We are home to more than 60,000 scientists from 139 countries. As the Director, Engagement and Membership, you will be part of a dynamic association for Earth and space scientists who advance research, collaborate across disciplines, and communicate the importance
and impact of science to society. AGU offers our members exciting opportunities through top-ranked scientific journals, scientific meetings and conferences, and other educational and scientific programs, to present and publish research, gain leadership experience,
mentor, and freely exchange knowledge.
AGU’s Workplace Values
We believe in accountability and ownership of work, by taking responsibility for decisions and results. We believe in member and customer service, and that they come first through providing high quality service.
We believe in excellence and giving it our all, through striving to be outstanding. We believe in integrity by doing the right thing, we achieve this by being honest and fair.
Our teams believe that with teamwork together we achieve more, we achieve this through collaboration. We believe in respect, that you earn it and give it, by open communication and collaboration.
What the Director, Engagement and Membership does
The Director, Engagement and Membership position is key in assisting AGU to promote discovery in Earth and Space science for the benefit of humanity by being strategic and operational in focus. The Director, Engagement and Membership will play a pivotal role
in executing the new vision for affiliation and engagement at AGU. In collaboration with the VP, Engagement and Membership, the Director will create meaningful programs and re-align services to support members and the broader community. The Director will evaluate,
design, develop, and coordinate projects and will lead initiatives to improve service and quality for members and affiliate groups.
• Collaborates with VP, Engagement and Membership and members of the Senior Team to articulate AGU’s member value proposition and position AGU membership to appropriate audiences.
• Provides strategic input and oversight of the activities related to AGU member acquisition, onboarding, retention, dues structure, multi-channel renewal, budgeting, and communications needed to achieve AGU’s Strategic Plan and organizational membership goals.
• Oversees, directly supervises and sets strategic direction for Membership team recruitment, retention, and recognition to meet or exceed annual revenue targets.
• Provides strategic guidance, support, and resources to Sections leadership consistent with AGU mission and vision. Establishes and manages productive relationships with Section leaders to enhance the connection between AGU and each Section.
• Directs projects coming out of the Member Services and Honors/Sections teams from inception to closure, ensuring that all relevant tasks are completed by targeted deadlines and project team members (internal and external) receive the level of support necessary
to effectively execute the work of the Sections.
• Works with Meetings team to produce/coordinate special programming for Sections during meetings (e.g. Fall Meeting, Ocean Science Meeting, etc.)
• Works with the Director, Leadership and Volunteer Services to develop leadership orientation materials and evaluation processes. Recommends improvements to processes and structure whenever appropriate.
• Works with Marketing/Communications team to develop membership marketing and promotional materials, including applications, welcome kits, certificate, and other collateral.
• Works with staff on communicating member needs, services and pertinent information for website, newsletters, and other communication vehicles.
• Oversees tracking of member involvement in programs and services.
• Works with Member Services team to develop and coordinate regular mechanisms to monitor member satisfaction and solicit feedback and suggestions.
• Other duties as assigned
What the Engagement and Membership brings to the team
• 10+ years with Bachelor’s degree; 8+ years with Master’s degree in business, marketing or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience managing budget is a must.
• Experience setting and achieving annual revenue targets.
• Experience coaching and developing staff.
• Experience developing and implementing programs is strongly preferred.
• Previous experience working in a membership organization environment is preferred.
• Experience leading cross-functional data management programs involving the coordination with multiple stakeholders.
• Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills; talented at building consensus, inspiring others to action and leading cross-functional work teams, both with and without explicit authority
• Ability to multitask under the pressing deadlines.
• Strong listening and coaching skills.
• Superior management and analytical skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers.
• Ability to exercise highest level of discretion on both internal and external confidential matters, and to maintain high level of confidentiality, included but not limited to strategic planning initiatives, contracts, budgeting, and personnel matters.
• Experience and in-depth knowledge of computer systems and demonstrated proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), business intelligence tool Tableau, SPSS, mapping and database management applications.
• Demonstrated attention to detail.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Effective project management skills; knowledge of project management software.
• Demonstrated ability to plan, analyze and coordinate activities.
• Ability to strategically solve problems and make effective decisions.
• Demonstrated flexibility and creativity.
• Ability to drive and manage change.
• Ability effectively turn things around and drive for results.
• Ability to travel.
For consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume to http://www.agu.org/
The successful candidate for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
AGU proudly offers a casual work environment, excellent compensation, generous work-life opportunities, and an outstanding benefits package.
AGU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
- Please view Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP
- The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access
to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure
is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41
||Send This Job to a Friend